Santiago, Chile – The death toll from a devastating truck explosion on a highway in Chile’s capital, Santiago, has risen to six, Chilean health authorities confirmed on Saturday.
The two latest victims succumbed to severe burn injuries in hospital despite intensive medical efforts. Authorities said 15 people remain hospitalized with serious injuries, including 14 in critical condition.
RELATED NEWS : Seven people have died in a series of road traffic incidents in Ireland
The explosion occurred on Thursday and is believed to have been caused by a suspected gas leak from the truck. The powerful blast triggered a massive fire that quickly spread to nearby vehicles on the highway and in an adjacent parking lot.
Witnesses reported seeing a huge fireball and thick smoke billowing into the sky, visible from multiple areas across the capital. Investigations are ongoing to determine the exact cause of the incident.
Videos on social media showed flames pluming at the site of the explosion. The accident happened in the northern Santiago commune of Renca, near a major highway and an industrial area.
The explosion was felt within a radius of about 150 to 200 meters and damaged at least 50 vehicles, according to firefighters.
President Gabriel Boric said some debris flew into three businesses, but so far there were no reports of further widespread damage.
SOURCE : AGENCIES | Follow Us: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Youtube


