Pontiff Faces Months of Recovery Following 38-Day Ordeal, Doctors Say
ROME – Pope Francis is set to be discharged from Rome’s Gemelli Hospital on Sunday, concluding a grueling 38-day struggle with a severe case of bilateral pneumonia that twice brought him to the brink of death and sparked speculation—now quelled—about a potential papal resignation or funeral. The 88-year-old pontiff’s release follows weeks of intensive care for an infection that ravaged both lungs, a recovery his doctors hailed as remarkable given the odds.
RELATED NEWS : Pope Francis battles early kidney failure in critical condition, yet stays alert as global prayers surge
Dr. Sergio Alfieri, who led Francis’ medical team, announced at a Saturday evening press conference in the hospital atrium that the pope would require at least two months of rest, rehabilitation, and convalescence at the Vatican. “He’s been discouraged from big group meetings or overexerting himself,” Alfieri said, noting that Francis had been an “exemplary patient” despite his eagerness to return home.
The pontiff’s personal physician, Dr. Luigi Carbone, added that with continued progress, Francis should eventually resume his full slate of duties. Sunday’s discharge will mark the first time the public has seen him since his February 14 admission, when he’ll offer a blessing from his hospital suite.
The update—the first in-person briefing in a month—shed light on the severity of Francis’ ordeal. Admitted with what began as bronchitis, the Argentine pope, who has chronic lung disease and lost part of one lung in his youth, soon faced a complex bacterial, viral, and fungal infection that escalated into double pneumonia. Blood tests revealed anemia, low platelets, and early kidney failure, later stabilized with two transfusions.
The gravest moments came on February 28, when an acute coughing fit led to aspiration of vomit, necessitating a noninvasive ventilation mask. Two subsequent respiratory crises required manual removal of “copious” mucus, and he slept with the mask nightly to clear lung fluid buildup.
“Not all patients survive such a severe case of bilateral pneumonia, let alone leave the hospital,” Alfieri said, crediting Francis’ resilience. “When he was in really bad shape, it was hard to see him in good spirits. But one morning, he said, ‘I’m still alive,’ and we knew he’d turned a corner.” Though the pneumonia is under control, Francis continues oral medication for a lingering fungal infection, expected to last months.
His voice remains weakened from lung damage and ventilation—a common setback, Alfieri noted—but should recover with time. “The respiratory muscles struggle after such an illness, especially in older patients. It’s normal to lose your voice a bit; it’ll return gradually.”
Despite his frailty, Francis remained alert and cooperative throughout, doctors said. “He realized he was improving—breathing better, working longer—and wanted to go home days ago,” Alfieri remarked. The decision to discharge him followed two weeks of stability and steady gains. Carbone emphasized that convalescing at the Vatican would be safer than remaining in a hospital, “the worst place to recover due to infection risks.”
Sunday’s release caps a chapter that tested the Vatican and its faithful. While the infection has abated, questions linger about Francis’ schedule. Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni declined to confirm events like an April 8 audience with King Charles III or Easter services, though Carbone expressed hope that a May trip to Turkey for an ecumenical anniversary might be feasible if recovery holds. For now, the focus is on rest for a pope whose survival, Alfieri said, defied the odds: “He’s shown us once again why he’s called the Holy Father.”
SOURCE : AP NEWS | Follow Us: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Youtube |